Choosing the right wedding dress for your wedding is confusing enough. Add up the figures in the price tag, shopping for a wedding dress can truly be a big task for the bride to be. This is especially true for those who are strictly following a budget for their overall wedding expenses. So what is the average cost of a wedding dress? This article will guide you into discovering the real cost of wedding dresses today.
Average Cost of a Wedding Dress
Today’s average cost of a wedding dress is $1,500. The inclusions in the price depend on where you get the dress. For instance, an off-the-rack wedding dress will include the dress and some alterations while wedding dresses found in mid-range to upscale boutiques include personalized services such as being assisted by a retail assistant, getting professional measurements, fitting, alterations, and a lot of other services.
What Affects the Price of a Wedding Dress
The price of a wedding dress can go higher or lower depending on several factors. Your choices will usually determine the final cost of your wedding dress.
- Type. Wedding dresses are classified under three categories, which are low-end, mid-range, and designer dresses. Low-end wedding dresses are usually off-the-rack items and their price can be below $200. Mid-range dresses, on the other hand, are priced $500 to $1,000. Designer dresses are the most expensive in the batch. Prices start from $2,000 and can go as much as $6,000. Moreover, getting a custom-made dress costs a lot higher than off-the-rack items. For instance, an off-the-rack designer wedding dress will cost $2,000 to $4,000 while a custom-designed designer dress can fall under the upper scale of the price spectrum.
- Fabric. What kind of fabric you want your wedding dress to be made of? Expect that silk and other natural fabric will cost more as compared to synthetic fibers.
- Details. A simple white dress for a wedding gown is usually cheaper. The more details and the more intricate your requested details are, the higher the wedding dress can cost. This is true especially for a complicated work of beading and embroidery.
- Designer. Your choice of designer will usually affect the cost of your wedding dress. For popular and talented designers, their wedding gowns are priced at a higher range. For instance, gowns designed by Monique Lhuillier can go as much as $10,000 while Vera Wang’s gowns can start from $2,500 to as much as $18,000.
Besides these basic factors, several things can add up to the average wedding dress cost. Rushing a wedding gown can add 10 to 25 percent to the end price while alterations can be a $20 extra.
How to Shop for the Perfect Wedding Dress
The perfect wedding dress can be very hard to find. However, if you make sure you give attention to the shopping task ahead, finding the right dress is not impossible at all. Here are some tips to help you shop for your wedding dress:
- Shop early. Getting a wedding dress is best done six months at least prior to the wedding date. Shopping for the dress early will give you a lot of time to get into various selections and weigh every gown that comes into the picture. Plus, this will prevent you from paying rush fees for the gown.
- Plan ahead. Before you go to a bridal boutique to shop for a dress, decide on what kind of dress you want. You can get an idea on wedding dress styles from magazines and the Internet. Take down all the details and design you want in a dress. This planning stage must also extend on deciding on your budget for the wedding dress.
- Choose the perfect wedding dress. Keep in mind that the perfect wedding dress cannot only be seen in its physical design and style. A perfect dress for you is something that is comfortable and that fits your body real well. Hence, don’t settle on a dress that you have not personally fitted. In the end, you deserve to look beautiful and feel confident on this very special day.
- Save money on your wedding dress. If you are on a strict budget with your wedding expenses, saving money on your wedding dress is possible. Take note that cheap wedding dresses are not necessarily bad choices. Ways to save on the cost of a wedding dress may include renting one instead of buying, shopping for off-season dresses, and buying used wedding gowns. If you plan well enough, you can find a treasure out of a little amount of money for your wedding dress.
Whether you are willing to spend little or a lot of money for a wedding dress, it pays to know beforehand how much this can affect the overall cost of your wedding expenses. Some dresses may come cheap while others are expensive. In the end, your choices will determine how much of your wedding budget will go to your dress.